Whatever gliding is for you, we can make it happen.
This is the simplest form of soaring, and flight is possible for many hours. On a good day, you could be airborne long after an light plane would run out of fuel!
If you're an adrenalin addict we can teach you to swoop, loop and dive. Gliders can perform all the same figures that powered aircraft can!
Using just the energy in the atmosphere, pilots can fly to the furthest flung corners of Scotland and beyond.
Walking On Air is a charity based at the SGC, which provides gliding experiences for those with disabilities. An adapted glider and clubhouse allows most people with disabilities exactly the same opportunities as the able bodied.
Many of our members use skills they have learnt gliding as the foundation of other forms of aviation. Gliding is a cheaper way of developing basic flying skills, and it develops a greater awareness of weather and terrain. Light aircraft and microlights are another challenge for glider pilots, but gliding usually remains our real passion in aviation.
We welcome individual pilots and expeditions from other clubs in the UK and overseas. Our location gives opportunities for ridge soaring, thermal and wave flying, and our facilities are second to none. Booking is required. Click for more information.
- Flying 363 days a year, weather permitting. We don't fly on Christmas Day & Boxing Day;
- Instruction available 7 days a week;
- Breakfast and lunch available;
- Basic accommodation - 5 single rooms, 4 twin rooms;
- Training for all levels from complete beginners (ab-initio) to Bronze and beyond - a BGA Bronze badge is the gliding equivalent of a PPL;
- Wheel-chair access to the clubhouse & accommodation.
- Three K21 dual-seat training gliders;
- One DG505 hi-performance dual-seat glider;
- Three Junior single-seat gliders;
- A Skylaunch winch, and a Supacat backup winch;
- A Eurofox Tug.
The Scottish Gliding Union (now known as the Scottish Gliding Centre) was formed in 1938. It is one of the oldest gliding clubs in the UK. There is lots more information on the Club History page.by